The conjunctiva is a mucous membrane, which extends from the undersurface of the lids & stretching upto the anterior part of the eyeball, an infection or inflammation to Conjunctiva is known as conjunctivitis.
If the 3 bodily humors like Vata, Pitta & Kapha get vitiated by causative factors, they affect the covering thin layer of the eyes & there by causing “Abhishyanda” a painful condition of the eyes.
1) Infective Conjunctivitis – This is due to an infection of the conjunctiva by microbial agents like bacteria, viruses’ etc.
2) Allergic Conjunctivitis – This is due to hypersensitive reaction of the conjunctiva by non specific agents like dust, smoke, pollens etc.
- · Discomfort & foreign body sensation in the eyes
- · Redness of the eyes
- · Photophobia i.e. difficulty to tolerate light
- · Sticking together of the lid margins due to profuse discharge.
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Amla (Emblica Officinalis)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Baheda (Terminalia Belerica)
- Nirmali (Strychnos potatorum)
- Saptamrit lauh
- Maha Tripha ghrita
- Arogyavardhini bati